The beauty of this challenge is the diversity of the parkrun venues that you run and Daventry, Northamptonshire is no exception! Located at beautiful Daventry Country Park it offers you the opportunity of running a single trail lap that is not that common in parkrun courses!
This 66 hectare park is centred around Daventry Reservoir that feeds the nearby Grand Union Canal and is a great place to take your family!
As stated this is a single anticlockwise lap of the park that surface is predominately made up of shale or earth paths, the exceptions are short sections of tarmac paths at the start and near the finish, with a very short section of grass to run up to the finishing funnel!
My time was 39:48 just happy to get round with this chest infection!
Points to note
- At the start place yourself where you think you are going to finish in the event as overtaking is at a premium over the first half mile!
- With all trail courses after prolonged periods of rain probably advisable to wear trail running shoes
- The wonderful named Woods of Doom section near the end of the reservoir lap needs to be given respect as there are a few exposed tree roots, short boggy section and a number wooden foot bridges that can get slippery in the wet!
- Finally the finish is on grass and has a steep little dropdown slope that could catch out the unwary!
Coming up from Luton I did a pit stop at Northampton services station on the M1 that is only 9 miles from Daventry parkrun! At the event itself I chose the free parking at Daventry District Council Offices Sat Nav NN11 4FP that is very close to the start!
The cool thing for us tourists is that the local leisure centre allows free access to their facilities including both changing and toilets on the production of your parkrun barcode!
For the post coffee that I unfortunately missed is at Abbey Retail Park, NN11 4GL that kindly offer a discount again on the production of your barcode, how very civilised 🙂
Daventry Country Park Facilities
- Nature walks
- Adventure playground for the kids
- Bird hides to watch the wildlife
I would like to thank Karen and her team of volunteers for making as all feel very much at home and cheering everyone around the course, top work guys!!
So Daventry is a must for all parkrunners, a single well maintained trail lap around a beautiful reservoir teaming with wildlife, you have been told!!!
Event 61 Gunpowder 14-10-2017