The Rocket 5K is part of the Milton Keynes Marathon weekend that takes place over the first May bank holiday weekend every year! The rocket 5k race is run on the Sunday with the marathon, half marathon, marathon relay races and super hero fun run all take place on the bank holiday Monday!
The Rocket 5K is predominantly a fast steady downhill point to point road race that is run entirely on tarmac roads, starts in the Town Centre on Midsummer Blvd with the finish just outside MK Dons football Stadium!
Points to Note
- This is a closed road race
- The surprise is the first short section is a steady incline along Midsummer Blvd
- Time limit of 45 mins is imposed as they need to reopen the roads
- Time chipped race
- Position yourself at the start line where you think you will finish in the race as even with the wide roads it might be still difficult to overtake with over 2,000 competitors taking part on course!
- Water and snacks are provided at the end of the race
They recommend car sharing if at all possible with the competitors being dropped off at the start post code MK9 1EA and the car being then parked at the finish at the Stadium car park. If this is not possible there is ample paid parking near the start and if you wish they offer a £5 bus return journey that leaves the stadium at 10:30am sharp!
There are portable toilets available next to the start and you can use the facilities inside race HQ that is based inside Wetherspoons, also this is where you collect your race numbers on the day itself.
For toilet facilities at the end of the race they recommend either KFC or McDonalds restaurants!
I would like to thank everyone involved in organising and the volunteers supporting this race, top effort guys! Also very well to my club Stopsley Striders friends with some of them who run some brilliant times, top running guys!!!
So finally if you are looking for a fast 5k time for the year, then the MK Rocket 5k has to be high on your race to do list, you have been told and plus I love the cool finishers medal 🙂
Mark aka Silent RStopsunner
2 thoughts on “MK Rocket 5K”